March 4, 2021

Iconic Cellars: Sidekick Cabernet Sauvignon 2018

 

Everyone needs a superhero someday.  Iconic Cellars Sidekick Cab is super bold, dry, and filled with dark fruit like blackberry, plum, and blueberry.  It’s smooth and easy to drink with a hint of cocoa on the finish.  It’s a comfortable wine to drink in front of the fireplace on a chilly night.    For a girl who isn’t a big fan of California Cabs, this one blew me away.

I opened this bottle after another kind of superhero got me through a tough experience.  I had an unexpected biopsy earlier this year.  (But, realistically, what biopsy is expected?)  At my yearly physical, a dreaded lump was discovered.  I was scanned, given an ultrasound, and then told not to worry, but we need to biopsy it.

Thankfully, a nurse name Sheila held my hand (both literally and figuratively) throughout the procedure.  She helped me relax, helped me to stay focused, kept me grounded, and handed me tissues when I started to cry.  (I don’t cry, people.)  In a world where we’ve been socially distancing for nearly a year, I cannot put into words how much her hand on my shoulder meant to me when the needle was going in.  The experience was terrifying; having an outstanding nurse there kept me from completely coming to pieces.  I’m grateful beyond measure for her support.

The biopsy came back fine.  It’s just fibrous tissue and completely normal. 

The next weekend, I noticed the bottle of Sidekick on my shelf.  It seemed a fitting tribute to the nurse who helped me through something that could have been a traumatic experience.  The wine, like the bedside manner of Sheila, was exceptional.


 

Comments