Formation Pinot Noir

 


For those of you who’ve been reading my blog since the beginning, do you remember the days when I hated Pinot Noir?  It was a grape I just wouldn’t drink for almost any reason.  I’d been the victim of some bad grocery store, bottom shelf, college buys that taught me it was a yucky wine I wanted no part of.

Please note the importance of purchasing good wine.  A bad bottle of wine can convince you an entire varietal is bad when it’s really just the producer you decided to take a sip of.

Fast forward a few years and I’m loving Pinot Noir.  I even bought the Riedel Pinot Noir glasses (so worth the splurge).  By opening myself to the possibility of enjoying the varietal, I was able to learn more about what I like.

French Pinot?  Not my favorite.  (Go ahead and gasp.  As a rule, I love French wine.)  California Pinot, it really depends on where it comes from.  Russian River Valley?  Yes, please!  Napa.  No, thanks.  Willamette Valley, Oregon?  Oh, yes!  To me, that’s the holy grail of Pinot Noir.

This one comes from Monterey, California.  I was skeptical at first but found this to be full of smoky blueberries.  Yep, you read that right.  Smoky blueberries.  It’s a bigger bodied Pinot that went beautifully with both the filet we had on Saturday and the burgers we had on Sunday.


Comments