14 Hands Merlot

 


This wine would normally fall under my “Grocery Store Grabs” postings, but the $10 price point and drinkability earned it a place in this blog.

I’m a little OCD about a few things.  One of them is my wine rack.  I want it to be full.  I don’t like empty spaces on the rack.  It drives my sense of balance wacky.  The result is that sometimes I pick up bottles I wouldn’t normally buy just to keep the rack full.  If I can’t make it to my usual wine store?  Then the grocery store, it is.

It’s thanks to this fun personality trait that the 14 Hands Merlot ended up on my shelf.  I needed 4 bottles of wine after a weekend get together and my budget declared they needed to be lesser expensive bottles.  I happened to be at the grocery store, so I stopped in the wine aisle and did some searching.

I picked up this one, a well-known grocery store brand, thinking I could drink it for the Grocery Store Grabs.  It turns out the wine was reasonably good and something I might pick up again if I need a decent red in a pinch. 

In my first taste, it felt overproduced.  Let it get some air (a good bit of air, not a few minutes) and it opens up.  It has a nice heaviness to it, some oak, some blackberry and plum, tannins are reasonably balanced.  It’s a nice glass of wine for a steak, burgers, or a meat sauce on pasta.  


Comments