Cerro Chapeu Reserva Tannat 2019


Tannat is a grape traditionally grown in Southwest France.  In recent years, it has become the most prominent grape grown in Uruguay – where the flavor and profile of the grape is drastically different.  Tannat from France is heavier and has stronger tannins.  Tannat from Uruguay is lighter bodied and has softer tannins.

The nose on this wine is clean with ripe red fruits.  There’s a little bit of must and some earthiness.  On the palate, you get bitter red fruit – cranberry, raspberry, unripe cherry.  It’s a bright wine that will go well with many different food pairings.  Tannins are light and well rounded.

I’d decant this before I drink it.  The initial flavor profile is a bit too tight for me, air will help it loosen up and allow in a more diverse flavor profile.  Decanting, the process of putting air into a red wine, can be done with a decanter or by using an aerator when you pour.  I find decanting works better, but you’ll need to do half or more of the bottle.

Uruguay isn’t a country I usually look to when searching for a bottle of wine, but this one is very nice.  I’m enjoying it on a Wednesday afternoon while my dogs are lying in the sunshine.  It’s sufficient to say we’re all enjoying a sunny, fall afternoon.


 

Comments