Highlands Forty-One: Red Blend - Black Granite Paso Robles

 


I don’t drink a lot of blends.  The majority wines on my shelf are single varietals, with the occasional two grape blend thrown in.  Complex blends, last week’s blog aside, aren’t usually my taste.  Give me a good Syrah or Zinfandel and I’m in wine heaven.  Give me a blend?  It better be something special to get my attention.

I picked this one up because I’m dreaming of Paso Robles.  One of my wine places is considering taking a trip to Paso, one I’m keeping my fingers crossed for and saying nightly prayers to gods of wine (that would be Dionysus for anyone who’s curious) that the trip will come through.  With elderly pets we can’t leave at home for extended periods of time, it’s going to be a while before my husband and I can make that trip to wine country together.

This wine is an adventure.  It’s bold and big.  Up front it hits you with vanilla, blackberry, and cherry.  Let it get some air and you’ll start to pick up on oak.  It’s super heavy and really needs food.  I intended to drink a glass while I was watching television (I’m still working on Lucifer) and ended up getting some strong cheeses to eat with it.  The wine alone was just too much for my palate.  (However, mixed with some Camembert and smoked Cheddar and it was fabulous.)

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I’ll make it to Paso Robles next year.  I’m dying to experience wine country firsthand (and would prefer to not sacrifice my elder animals to do it).


Comments