Viking Alchemist Meadery: Antinomy Cranberry and Cherry Mead


At the beginning of December, I was introduced to something new: mead.  I’d had it before, thought it was pretty terrible, and never thought about it again. However, at my monthly wine club, this meadery was brought in for us to try something new and seasonal.

What a difference. I loved every one of the seven flavors they brought with them. (Well, almost, I didn’t really like “plain” mead. The flavors were more my style.)

Sweeter than most wine, these meads were akin to a sweet Riesling. They came in a number of flavors: peach, blueberry, tart cherry, and holiday spice to name a few. Each one had its own personality and each was equally enjoyable. I purchased several bottles to take to Christmas parties throughout the season.

Antimony is easy to drink and has a flavor that will appeal to most anyone. The cranberry isn’t too tart and the cherry doesn’t overpower you into thinking about cough syrup. It’s light, a little bit similar to the flavor of cranberry sauce from Thanksgiving.

Be careful, however.  I took one bottle with me to a party and we drank about half of it. I left it on my wine shelf, intending to drink it slowly over the next few weeks (it will stay good for a month after opening) and by day four, it was empty. The mead was so smooth and easy to drink, it was gone before I knew what was happening.


 

Comments